Wildflower Cardigan by by Alana Dakos
Yarn: Alize Cashmira Fine, 200g, hand dyed
Needle: 2.5 mm, 3 mm
Time to knit: almost two months
I didn't make any major modifications to the design, I only made it fully buttoned. However I made my own calculations for every piece of the garment, as my gauge was 22 sts and 30 rows compared to the required 28 sts and 34 rows for a 10 cm sample square and I couldn't go down the size as I needed the smallest size for my daughter. In the case of the pockets I think my gauge deviation even worked to my advantage, as the pockets, knitted to the original gauge seem a bit small for the garment, especially in the larger sizes, while mine came out pleasantly proportionate to the width of the fronts.
From the inside I sewed the lining of the pockets, following the two-stitch curved outline of the front pocket. Thus there is no shadow pocket viewed from the outside.
All of the pieces are sewed with mattress stitch,
I wanted to have the sleeves as long as I can squeeze from the 200 g I had, so first I finished the body completely, neckbands and button bands and then cast on the two sleeves. The knitting included quite a lot of simple mathematics - I counted the number of stitches 1 gram of yarn yielded and then calculated the number of stitches for each sleeve. After sewing the sleeves, the pockets and the buttons this is all of the yarn I was left with!!! Success!