Monday, June 8, 2015

Spinach Cake


There's been much talk on a popular Bulgarian forum about a spinach cake and I've been planning to try it for ages. Now, that the season of strawberries is at its peak, seemed just the right time. The amazing thing about this spinach cake, is that it is a sweet cake and the spinach adds the unusual color, but no taste. These are the ingredients I used for my Shrek colored cake:

Ingredients:
  • 4 eggs
  • 280 g sugar
  • 230 g flour
  • 10 g baking powder
  • 200 g frozen spinach
  • 100 g olive oil
  • For the filling: 800 sour cream + 80 g sugar
  • strawberries


Blend the spinach with the oil. Beat the eggs with the sugar, add the blended spinach and the flour, mixed with the baking powder. Bake in a cake form at 180 C until ready.



Wait for the baked cake to cool down and cut it in half. Remove a handful of crumbs for top decoration (optional).


Spread half of the sweetened sour cream, add halved strawberries (I wish I had added more instead of letting Gaby eat 2/3 of them in advance :)


Decorate the top with the crumbs, imitating grass, and the  strawberries:


Best served cooled after at least 4-6 hours of refrigeration:


These pictures were taken in the evening right after I assembled the cake and the cream was still too wet. The cake held much better form in the morning, as the dampness from the cream had permeated the layers. It's a fairly light, fresh summer cake, but I don't  think I'll be repeating the experiment - though interesting, the green color is actually not so appetizing and I prefer milk based cream fillings such as custard.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my. That is interesting. I think of Dr. Seuss and his Green Eggs and Ham book.

    ReplyDelete