Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Teal Men's Longsleeve

Last year before Christmas I bought a large piece of double knit fabric in teal color to make something for my husband. Apart from brick, teal is one of my most favourite colors and I am constantly drawn to it. If I'm not mistaken, this is the third piece of teal fabric I have bought from this fabric shop and definitely not the last. It's just that when I enter a shop the first items I see are those in burnt orange and teal and never beige (which is my husband's favourite :))

The inspiration for my make was a men's longsleeve with front neck button placket. I recently acquired the men's and women's Movie Night Pajamas by Sew a Little Seam and I thought the top was actually a pretty good match for the longsleeve loungewear for my husband I had in mind.

I have never made button plackets on knits before, but the pattern provides very detailed verbal and pictorial instructions that are absolutely fool proof. I am very happy with the way my button placket turned out, exactly as I had expected it.

The fabric that I used is a polycotton blend in double knit, very soft and pleasant to wear. However, it is a nightmare to sew with the straight machine - probably because of its ribbed structure. I had to redo and redo the double needle hem, as the needle kept skipping stitches and tearing the thread and in the end the only remedy was to sew through a thin piece of paper.

Although the color on the pictures looks plain blue, in real life it is much closer to the small inspiration picture.

As the width of the fabric was about 2.20 m, I had plenty of remnant fabric for two more blouses. Alex declined my proposal for a matching longsleeve, so I made myself one and I'm in the process of finishing a second blouse.

Size: LG
Fabric: double knit, polycotton
Thread: black polyester (overlocker), teal (Elna 2300)
Time to make: 2 days


1 comment: