Monday, November 16, 2020

Snow White

I finally finished a sweater for Gaby I cast on on January 2nd this year! The sweater is my own design, using the cables from a pattern I've already knitted before - Tre Archi by Louisa Harding. Gaby wanted a fitted white sweater with sequins and bishop sleeves and the Tre Archi silhouette in my previous modification seemed to fit the bill.


I ordered a bobbin of sequin yarn - thin polyester thread with tiny, tiny sequins, almost invisible, yet festive enough for my liking. I combined it with a bobbin of Italian 100% merino in off white color and happily started knitting on the second day of the new year. However, i soon discovered that the polyester thread was too coarse and artificial and i did not like the resulting texture. I drudged along until I finished the body, but i had lost all of my mojo and put the sweater aside.


And it stayed in a project bag until a couple of weeks ago, when I came upon it while in search of a cable needle to finish my purple raglan sweater. I took it out of the bag and gave the body a good bath and blocking. The merino bloomed after the bath and transformed the texture of the knitting, filling in the gaps between the stitches. The hem was curling and the sweater seemed a bit short, so I unraveled it and finished it anew with smaller needles and grafting. And then I added bishop sleeves my own design.


The back finishes with a key-hole opening, which I have lightly sewn up for now. The plan is to add a ribbon and close it by tying the ribbon, but as the sweater is for Gaby and she's away until Christmas, I'll wait for her to choose the closure she prefers.

Pattern: Snow White, personal design using Tre Archi cables
Yarn: Merino Extrafine, 375 m / 100 g, 100% merino and
Paillettes 1, 100% polyester, 780 m / 100 g, total weight of the sweater: 400 g
Needle: 4 mm (body), 3.5 mm (cables and hems), 3 mm (sleeve hems)
Time to knit: a year :)



2 comments:

  1. Love how you shaped the waist and how it has those lace patterns. The keyhole back is cute too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I find shaping with cables really flattering!

      Delete