Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Jackson Creek Cardigan


Pattern: Jackson Creek Cardigan by Glenna C.
Yarn: YarnArt Pure Merino 300 g, hand dyed
Needle: 3 mm rib, 3.5 mm body
Time to knit: two weeks


This is what became of my tobacco yellow merino - a little cardigan with cable panels and stockinette back. Although the original features 7/8 sleeves, I would have preferred to make mine long, if I had enough yarn. However the yarn would have sufficed for simple stockinette sleeves, as in the pattern, but I wanted mine cabled - so I had to go for the shorter version.


When distributing the skeins, I thought I had chosen the prettiest skein for the fronts, but in the course of knitting it turned out that it was the worst of all - unlike the back and the sleeves, where the colors distributed evenly, on the fronts there is some pooling of darker and lighter stitches. Luckily, it is more visible in the photos than in real life (or so I think :)


Although I've linked it to Glenna C.'s pattern, in fact this is my interpretation of her visual concept for this cardigan. Actually, it is the second sweater this year, which I made entirely without a description (the first is Gaby's striped cardigan) - just taking the idea from a few photos and then calculating and designing the thing to fit my measurements. I know this is far from having my own original idea for a complicated design of a big garment, but I think it is a step forward to designing my own clothes. What I would change next time - I would make the stockinette back five rows shorter than the fronts and the armhole shaping a bit more shallow. I'm not sure about the neckline - higher as it is now or lower? The lower neckline could be more flattering but this time I chose the higher neckline, as it feels more cozy and warm for a winter wool garment. I didn't feel cold during the taking of these pictures, even though everyone around me was wearing warm coats, hats and gloves.


And yes - we've had our small share of snow this year :) The temperatures dropped a bit and it snowed for a couple of days, but before I was ready for a nice snowy photosession the snow began melting. Judging by the forecasts - it should be gone till the end of the week.




10 comments:

  1. This is a terrific color. It's like a curry/cumin/tumeric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Классный кардиган и цвет тебе очень к лицу!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Красив модел и много топъл цвят, подхождащ на тъмнокоси.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't see any problems with the colour, we are always critical of our own work, I am very impressed. The design and pattern are fab. The scenery is wonderful too:0)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I love those cables. It's so cool to see how this hand-dyed yarn knitted up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The yarn - absolutely lovely :) And your cardigan is really beautiful - small and smart. Just my style ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous cardigan, I love the cabling and the colour. Wish I could wear that shade of yellow (or any yellow really lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great cardigan. I love the colour.

    ReplyDelete